Fun and Creative Writing Prompts about Pets for Young Writers
Are you looking for a fun way to boost your child’s creative, reading, and writing skills? Writing prompts can do just that! Below we have compiled a list of 15 great writing prompts about pets for your budding scholar.
The list of pet writing prompts shown below contains some of our favorite writing prompts about pets for children of all ages, but especially for those in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. Have your child select his or her favorite prompt from the list and write about it. Or better yet, designate an entire month to writing about pets and pick a prompt or two or more per week for inspiration. However you and your child decide to use these prompts, just make sure to have tons of fun writing about pet animals!
Writing Prompts about Pets
- Have children write a poem about their dream pet. There are no rules, here. Just fun. They can even draw a picture if they would like.
- Write a story from the point of view of one of your children’s pets.
- Describe your favorite pet. What do you love about it? If you do not have a pet, describe the one you would like to have the most.
- Invent a brand new pet. What would it look like? How would you have to care for it?
- Write a conversation you would have with your pet (or dream pet) if you could talk with animals. (You could even read passages from Doctor Doolittle to go along with this prompt.)
- What if you had a pet like your favorite cartoon character? Who would it be? What kind of adventures would you have?
- If you would like to have a pet, make a list of the things you would have to do to care for your pet. If you already own one, write a paragraph about how you care for your pet.
- You can choose to be the pet of anyone in the world. Who would it be? What kind of animal would you be?
- Which pets are the best? Why?
- Let your students finish this story: “If I were a pet, I would be a _____, and I would….”
- What would the world look like if cats acted like dogs and dogs acted like cats?
- What if we kept wild animals for pets? Which one would you choose?
- What would happen if you lost your pet? How would you feel? What would you do?
- If someone were to care for your pet (or dream pet) while you were away, what things would they need
- What would your day be like if you were a cat? Or a dog? Or a fish? What sorts of things would you do? What would be your favorite time of day?
Until next time, write on about pets!