Elementary writing skills can be enriched through a journal keeping practice. Journals are a wonderful tool for students to explore the creative recesses of their minds, and to work out their thoughts and get them down on paper.
Students who journal are likely to express their ideas in more innovative ways, and to develop better writing skills in all areas of their education. The key is to keep journaling a bit more free and creative than “formal” elementary writing (i.e. for the child’s language arts class).
The holiday season is a fun time to mix up elementary writing practices with some Christmas-themed writing ideas. The journal prompts and writing ideas listed below range from the imaginative ideas of Santa and his reindeer to the nostalgic reflections on their own family traditions.
Jazz up your student’s elementary writing with this list of 81 all new journal prompts. They are sure to put your students in a festive mood. Their journals will be filled with thoughts of trees, caroling, and the slushy feeling of getting snow in their boots.
81 Elementary Writing Prompts
about the Christmas Holiday
- Taking a ride in Santa’s sleigh
- Baking cookies with Mrs. Claus
- Building toys with the elves
- The best snowman I ever built
- My family’s Christmas traditions
- Waking up on Christmas morning feels like…
- What I want for Christmas this year
- What does your Christmas tree look like?
- Does your family put presents under the tree throughout December or on Christmas Eve?
- My favorite Christmas song
- Write a story about the other reindeer besides Rudolph
- What do you like to get in your stocking?
- Would you rather go sledding or skiing?
- Describe the taste of candy canes
- My favorite part of Christmas
- Does your family leave milk and cookies for Santa?
- When it snows on Christmas
- Do you put an angel or a star on your tree?
- The gifts I’m most excited to give this year
- Where does your family celebrate Christmas?
- My favorite Christmas goodies to bake
- Is it more fun to give or receive gifts?
- Hearing jingle bells on your rooftop
- Have you ever had a Secret Santa?
- Your favorite Christmas ornament
- The gingerbread man who came to life
- What if there was an abominable snowman?
- The best snowball fight ever
- Where could you and Frosty the Snowman go?
- What family traditions will you keep for your family when you get older?
- Would you rather be an elf or a reindeer?
- The things I learned from “A Christmas Carol”
- Do your pets get presents on Christmas?
- Your favorite store to shop at for Christmas gifts
- Why people are like snowflakes
- Write your own version of “The Night Before Christmas”
- How does Santa get into houses without chimneys?
- The funniest Christmas joke I ever heard
- Does your family ever go caroling?
- Describe the feeling of snow inside your boots
- When does your family give each other presents?
- My favorite thing about winter
- Five things I could do to help someone less fortunate on Christmas
- Do you have any friends that celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa?
- The best Christmas movie ever
- Living on Candy Cane Lane
- Would you rather be a polar bear or a penguin living in the North Pole?
- My first memory of sitting on Santa’s lap
- Who wakes up first in your house on Christmas?
- Would you rather be in a Christmas play or a Christmas concert?
- How many people do you buy presents for on Christmas?
- Fun Christmas crafts to make
- How does your family decorate your house for Christmas?
- The best thing to do on Christmas day
- Have you been naughty or nice this year?
- Would you like to have extra snow days if it meant you had more days at the end of the year?
- What would happen if Santa got sick on Christmas?
- If you were a Christmas tree, how would you want to be decorated?
- Do you dream of having a white Christmas?
- The best Christmas present I ever received
- How would you help the Grinch if you were a Who in Who-ville?
- What would Jack Frost do if he lived in Hawaii?
- Does snow falling have a sound?
- What if Rudolph had a green nose? Or, would it light up to be green and red?
- The best Christmas light display
- The best time to listen to Christmas music
- How tall do you think elves are?
- Your favorite Christmas or holiday special
- If I could give a Christmas gift to the world, it would be…
- What do you do on Christmas vacation?
- The best way to decorate a gingerbread house
- My favorite Christmas memory
- Describe the taste of hot chocolate
- What kind of technology should Santa use in his sleigh?
- Who wraps the presents in your house?
- Christmas is (or isn’t) my favorite holiday because…
- Write about your favorite winter coat, scarf, or boots
- How long does your family leave their Christmas decorations up?
- What do you like to do on snow days?
- Have you ever looked for the place where your parents hide Christmas presents?
- Finding a big surprise under the tree
I hope you enjoy this list of compelling Christmas elementary writing journal prompts, and the creative connections your students will make by using them!
Journal Buddies builds creative writing skills in boys and girls.