13 Exciting, Innovative Writing Prompts for Kids + 9 Bonus Creative Journaling Ideas
Are you looking for kids writing prompts that your children can use to write about in a journal or elsewhere? If so, then congratulations because you have just discovered a fabulous writing resource!
Sharing kids writing ideas, innovative writing prompts and helpful creative writing resources is a passion of mine. It is my joy to share this passion with you.
After you finish exploring the fabulous kids writing prompts on this page, stick around and peruse our other lovely kids writing resources. We have 1000+ kids writing ideas and writing prompts for you to check out. I know you’ll love what we have to offer you!
Kids Writing Ideas and Writing Prompts
It is my sincere hope that you savor and enjoy these creative kids writing starters and journal prompts. Okay… without further ado, below are listed some of my favorite kids writing prompts just for you and your students!
Oh, and there’s even a bonus listing of creative journaling ideas, too.
13 Kids Writing Prompts
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you were the last person on earth?
- What would you do if you could fly?
- What if you were a snowflake… what would your day be like?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation? Why?
- Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit going down a hole. What does the rabbit experience, see and feel?
- What would you eat if you were on a deserted island? How would you catch your food?
- How does it feel to be the floor in your house?
- Imagine you are a mountain and you are sitting and watching the world. What do you see?
- What dangers would you face if you were a chipmunk? How would you over come them?
9 Creative Writing Ideas:
BONUS. Add some flair to you journals! Try these innovative creative writing and journaling techniques.
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
I hope that you are as excited about these fresh and innovative kids writing and journal prompt ideas as I am. Until next time, write on!
Jill Schoenberg, the creator and author of the innovative journaling books Journal Buddies for girls and for boys