f

13 Exciting, Innovative Writing Prompts for Kids + 9 Bonus Creative Journaling Ideas

Are you looking for kids writing prompts that your children can use to write about in a journal or elsewhere?  If so, then congratulations because you have just discovered a fabulous writing resource!

Sharing kids writing ideas, innovative writing prompts and helpful creative writing resources is a passion of mine. It is my joy to share this passion with you.

After you finish exploring the fabulous kids writing prompts on this page, stick around and peruse our other lovely kids writing resources. We have 1000+ kids writing ideas and writing prompts for you to check out.  I know you’ll love what we have to offer you! :D

Kids Writing Ideas and Writing Prompts

Girl Journal Writing Outside

It is my sincere hope that you savor and enjoy these creative kids writing starters and journal prompts. Okay… without further ado, below are listed some of my favorite kids writing prompts just for you and your students!

Oh, and there’s even a bonus listing of creative journaling ideas, too.

13 Kids Writing Prompts

1. Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
  2. What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
  3. What would you do if you were the last person on earth?
  4. What would you do if you could fly?
  5. What if you were a snowflake… what would your day be like?
  6. What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!
  7. Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
  8. What is your dream vacation? Why?
  9. Write a story from the perspective of a rabbit going down a hole.  What does the rabbit experience, see and feel?
  10. What would you eat if you were on a deserted island?  How would you catch your food?
  11. How does it feel to be the floor in your house?
  12. Imagine you are a mountain and you are sitting and watching the world.  What do you see?
  13. What dangers would you face if you were a chipmunk? How would you over come them?

9 Creative Writing Ideas:

BONUS.  Add some flair to you journals!  Try these innovative creative writing and journaling techniques.

1. Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
  2. Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
  3. Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
  4. Draw a picture.
  5. Write a poem.
  6. Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
  7. Compose a song.
  8. Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
  9. Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.

I hope that you are as excited about these fresh and innovative kids writing and journal prompt ideas as I am. Until next time, write on!

Most kindly,

Jill Schoenberg, the creator and author of the innovative journaling books Journal Buddies for girls and for boys

Jill About the Author
Jill Schoenberg is the author of the award winning books Journal Buddies: A Girl’s Journal for Sharing and Celebrating Magnificence and Journal Buddies: A Boys Journal for Discovering and Sharing Excellence, available from Amazon.com.

35 Brilliant Comments - Join Discussion Now!

1. Rebekah says:

Thank you!!!! I am a Youth Minister and we are doing our first writing group today. I appreciate this help….

Bekah

2. JillJill says:

Hello Rebekah, You are so very welcome. Happy writing to your entire group especially from me! :D
    Sincerely, Jill Schoenberg
    author and creator of the Journal Buddies book series

3. Violet says:

These writing prompts are very creative and wonderful; however, they are not grammatically correct. Many of them switch tenses (past, present, future).

4. JillJill says:

Please feel free to use and/or rewrite the journaling prompts to suit your needs and tastes. :D

5. Michelle says:

Hey I’m a fifth grade student and I find this site very entertaining and full of cool things to write about!

6. JillJill says:

Hi Michelle, I am sooooooooooooooo glad that you enjoy my site. Stop often and drop me a note any time! :D
    Sincerely,
    Jill
    Journal Buddies Author and Creator

7. Sklar Richardson says:

These are soooooo cool michelle!!!! i love ur website. I am from south lyon and i am going through some tough times

8. Summer Richardson says:

hey, sklar is my twin but i looooovvvve ur website. I dont know you but if i did i probably would love u… this is sooooo cool writing comments!!!

9. JillJill says:

Hi Skylar, Journaling is a great tool to help get you through tough times (and good times too). I hope you use it and I hope that your tough times pass quickly.

Until next time, journal on! :D

Kindly,
    Jill
    Journal Buddies Author

10. JillJill says:

Hi Summer,
    Thank you for your kind words about JournalBuddies.com. You’ve put a big smile on my face, and I thank you for that!

Sincerely,
    Jill
    Journal Buddies Creator and Author

11. JillJill says:

Three stories already!! That is fabulous. Write on Pranav!!! :D

12. emily says:

I was walking throw the woods one day and I saw a wolf. It was big and it was red. I was really scared so I ran away from it .It was chasing me. I was running out of the woods.when I got home food was ready. The end

13. JillJill says:

I LOVE your story, Emily!!! Thank you for sharing with us. :D

14. kishi says:

this website is really helping me for the njask which I have been stressing for a long time

15. JillJill says:

I’m so glad that you find my site helpful! All the best to you, Kishi. :)

Sincerely,
    Jill

16. darbymiler says:

I am children’s author/poet.My website is full of fun for pre-school and kindergarten kids.

I have pending book to be published for the holidays.I invite all teddy bear lovers to enjoy my dancing bears.

17. Sharmistha Ghosh says:

I am an Elementary teacher and enjoy teaching creative writing to my 6 year olds, I found your prompts very interesting and I am excited to use it with my kids in class.

18. JillJill says:

Hello Sharmistha,

I am glad you enjoyed the writing prompts. There are many more on my site and even more to yet to be published, so check back often.

Wishing you and your students all the very best today and always!

Kindly,
    Jill
    Journal Buddies Author

19. sera says:

Hi jill, your prompts r really very interesting .it’s a great help dear .Thanks nd God bless u! Sera

20. Belinda says:

Your site is simply wonderful. God bless you and give you more wisdom fo sharing your knowledge with the world.

It’s really helpful.

21. JillJill says:

Awhhh… thank you for your kind words, and may God bless you, too! :)

Kindly,
    Jill

22. Alyssah says:

This is really helpful! I am a big sister tutoring my younger sister. I know what she needs more than her teachers, and have been helping her with school subjects. One thing she really needs help with is journal writing. She does it every once in a while when she feels like it. I do that too, but I know journal writing is important, so I am trying to get her to write more often.
    Thanks!
    Alyssah

23. JillJill says:

Hi Alyssah!

I am so glad that you found this article helpful. Knowing that just warms my heart, as does the fact that you are a big sister. Yay for you!!!!

Happy journaling to you and to your little sister.

Most kindly,
    Jill
    Author of ‘Journal Buddies’

24. vidushi says:

it’s good :)

25. Pingback: Inspiring an 8 year old to write | A Wombat Loose In Nordock

26. Maliha says:

Hi Jill , Thank you dear for helping me with these prompts. My students enjoyed writing “What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said!”.For instance one wrote that he’ll go to sleep again so can come back to HIS SENSES again. They want me to give them some more of these.

27. JillJill says:

LOL… I love that response your student came up with to go back to sleep. How innovative!! There are so many prompts on this site, and I hope you continue to visit often and use them with your students!

Happy writing to all.

Ever so kindly,
    Jill Schoenberg
    Author and Creator of Journal Buddies

28. Pingback: Favorite Tweets For Writers – May 17-23, 2010

29. abby says:

I told my teacher about this site now shes addicted to this site and I enjoy writing

30. Patricia says:

Thank you Jill this was an amazing site, I will definitely share it with my friends

31. JillJill says:

Thanks Patricia! New writing ideas for kida are added often, so please check back and spread the word. :D

32. Miranda says:

write about you and what you enjoy

33. brenda says:

I need help getting my 3 grader two write more quickly she is falling behind. She went from a 92 to 76 due to having to complete writing projects in class. she takes about 1 hour @ home to due book reports. can you help me? She is smart with no issues. Fluency is 98% &,comprehension is 67% . She reads @ grade level.

34. JillJill says:

Hi Brenda,

Have you searched online for terms such as “how to improve child’s writing speed”? When I did I found this article which I found interesting and simple:http://www.ehow.com/how_6328348_improve-children_s-writing-speed.html. Check it out. You might find it helpful, but if not keep searching online as I just know that you’ll find a way to help your 3rd grader.

All the best!