Oh the Many Joys of Creative Journaling! I love to write about journaling tips, journal prompts and starters, creative journaling and journal writing techniques. Writing in a journal is one of my very favorite activities, but creating new, exciting and innovate ways to keep a journal is an even more exciting activity, if you ask me!
Below is a list of creative ways to add new life and excitement to your journal keeping endeavors.
Oh, one quick note before I share 25 of my favorite creative journaling ideas with you, I want to invite you to receive your free e-book of 519 Writing Prompts & 89 Creative Journaling Ideas. As an added bonus, you’ll also receive self-esteem worksheets excerpted from my award-winning journals.
Simply complete the sign up form over there to the right (the one below the video box!)
Creative Journaling Ideas
Time and again, I am amazed at how many fun, exciting, simple, and low-cost ways there are to embellish your journals. Below is a sampling of creative journaling ideas that will make your journal keeping a more interactive, creative and unique tool for self-expression.
Explore, savor, and well… dive in!
Journaling Ideas and Prompts
25 Innovative & Creative Insprirations
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Break all those writing and grammar rules and journal in your own unique style!
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
- Paste craft items into your journal (check with your Mom, aunts, or teachers for things you can use).
- Brighten your journal with paint.
- Paste stickers in your journal.
- Include quotations by your favorite famous person, or someone you admire. You can find quotes online or in books from the library.
- Record important events in history.
- Draw a cartoon.
- Record important news from the day.
- Figure out how many days are left until your 13th birthday or your 16th birthday or your 18th, 21st, 33rd, 47th, 53rd or 111th birthday!
- Interview a family member and record the interview in your journal.
- Interview a friend and record the interview in your journal.
- Write down 3 things that you’re thankful for.
- Write down 3 things that really bug you.
- Invent a cool, new saying and record in your journal how and when you used it.
- Invent an animal that no one except you has ever thought of before.
- Draw a picture of an animal that no one except you has ever seen.
Journal Prompts Resources
To help you along in your journaling writing, I’d like to offer you the following journaling writing prompt links. Oh, and keep poking around this site as it is jammed full of awesome journaling resources especially for you!
- 1,000+ journal prompts by topic (there’s actually more than that but…. )
- Journal Writing Prompts
- “What If…” Writing Prompts
- Top 10 Journaling Tips for Kids
May your journaling adventure be filled with joy, fun and creativity.
Journal Buddies builds creative writing skills in boys and girls.