Self Esteem Boys—
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “Self-esteem plays a central role in a child’s motivation and achievements in school, athletics, and social relationships.”
Building and improving self-esteem is a life skill that is all about self-care and that is very similar to body care.
You already know that in order to keep our bodies in good shape we must take daily actions. Bathing, grooming, eating, exercising and relaxing are all example of essential body-care actions.
Thinking about improving self-esteem from this perspective, there are two primary components to building a strong sense self esteem in kids.
- Building healthy self-esteem takes time and effort.
- Maintaining self-esteem requires daily attention because it is a never-ending (and lovely) journey we all travel.
Healthy self-esteem is a life skill we must teach and instill in our children. Just remember that everyone feels bad from time to time and that this is a normal part of having healthy self esteem.
You can help build and improve your son’s sense of self-esteem right now with these simple tips.
FACT! Self-Esteem is an ongoing journey, therefore daily action is required to build and improve one’s sense self esteem.
Thirteen Tips for Building Self Esteem in Boys
- Take time to do things you enjoy.
- Do things that make use of your own special talents and abilities.
- Give yourself rewards.
- Learn something new or improve your skills.
- Begin doing those things that you know will make you feel better about yourself.
- Do something nice for another person.
- Make it a point to treat yourself well every day.
- Smiles & Hugs
- Truly communicating & listening.
- Respecting self and others
- Praise and acceptance
- Making eye contact
(Excerpted, in part, from Building Self-esteem A Self-Help Guide)
Just imagine minutes from how great you’ll feel when you are enjoying one of these tips by sharing it with your precious son. Because self-esteem is a major key to success in all areas of life take action every day to strength you child’s sense of self-esteem.
For more about how to build self-esteem in boys, please read the my article 10 Keys to Building Self Esteem in Boys.
Journal Buddies builds creative writing skills in boys and girls.